for the
1 day
  April  5-6, 2014 


a military philanthropy endurance run/ultramarathon

Col. Francis J. McGouldrick

Homestate: Connecticut

Role at OSU: AFROTC Cadre/Professor

Survived By: Wife and 4 Daughters


Date of Loss: 13 Dec 1968

Accident Type: B-57B Aircraft Collision with C-123

Country of Loss: Laos

Colonel McGouldrick’s military career began with the Air Force’s Officer Training School - an endeavor he took after graduating from Fairfield University in Connecticut. After earning his commission, he was selected to receive extensive training as a pilot, navigator, and bombardier. These skills combined with an affinity to teach made him a valuable asset to the Air Force. As a result, he was given several assignments to influence airmen around the world. First he was assigned to James Connally Air Force base in Waco Texas and then Tachikawa Airfield, Japan.  After fullfilling an instructing role at the prestigious U.S. Air Force Academy, he was again moved to Lockbourne AFB in Columbus, Ohio in 1964. At what was to be his last assignment, Col. McGouldrick served as an Air Force ROTC instructor at Detachment 645, The Ohio State University.

The Ohio State University

During his time here at OSU, Col. McGouldrick, was very involved within the wing. Most notable was his position as the advisor for Angel Flight.  Angel Flight was a special drill team for women in the Air Force ROTC program that practiced drill maneuvers and served as flight attendants on university flights for sports teams and administrators.  Col. McGouldrick’s ability to teach and be trusted made him more than just an advisor to the girls in Angel Flight. They would come to him for tips on adjusting to college, help with school work, and career advice. Their student-instructor bond became so close that they were even occasionally known to babysit his daughters. After four years at Ohio State, he was given orders to Vietnam in June of 1968.


In Vietnam, then Lt. Col. McGouldrick resumed his pilot, navigator, and bombardier duties. During his off time he avidly wrote letters to his wife and children back home. “Do good in school,” “Be a good girl,” and “Be sure to help your mother,” were his common wishes, the girls remember. Occasionally he even sent gifts from Taiwan!


On December 13, 1968, the McGouldrick family would change forever. 


Lt. Col. McGouldrick was flying in a B-57B bomber on a nighttime mission over Laos along the Ho Chi Minh Trail.  During a raid, his plane collided with a C-123K out on night patrol over the trail spotting and illuminating targets.  The collision caused both planes to go down; a few chutes were spotted following the crash, but only the pilot of the C-123 was recovered.  After tireless search and rescue efforts, none of the other crew members were found.  Intelligence reports do note that others did make it to the ground alive and were spotted at various prison camps over the next few years. However, there have been no confirmed reports of Col. McGouldrick following the crash. 


After the incident there was a predictably sad atmosphere. Mrs. McGouldrick chose to keep the news out of the public’s eye but close family and friends made sure to show their support. The Air Force even assigned several airmen to help the family out during the sensitive time. At face value the family seemed to have great care and support during their grieving – that holiday season and henceforth they would receive three to four hundred Christmas cards. Yet, the most unexpected emotion arisen was awkwardness. While family and friends came by they still had to maintain composure. They felt strangely expected to play the role of a mourning family accepting condolences and until the attention disappeared, they could not truly begin the grieving process.

Even as the support from those closest to the family faded, the unsettling feeling did not; it had found a new source: the unknown fate of the McGouldrick family’s beloved father and husband. Throughout the remainder of the war the military did try to locate the downed crew but comprehensive search and rescue efforts were not practical. At the war’s end, the evening news routinely showed U.S. soldiers getting off the cargo planes and stepping back onto American soil. The daughters made sure to watch every night, glued to the TV screen, studying each face, waiting to see their father. But, they never saw him.

Following American withdrawal and conclusion of the war the long awaited search and excavation of the crash site began. Parts of the aircraft were located, villagers were questioned, enemy records were viewed, and photos were sifted through but there was no evidence of the crew. The family still had no closure, should the girls keep watching the evening news every night or accept an unconfirmed death and move on?

As the years went by the question went unanswered and the family remained in the in-between phase. In 1978, under the policy of Jimmy Carter, all those still missing in action were declared “killed in action.” As the impersonal move “closed” the cases without any factual proof, the decision was met with widespread anger. And, as a result, Col. McGouldrick was given a funeral with full military honors at Arlington National Cemetery even though his casket was left unfilled.

Since the culmination of the Vietnam War, accident and combat sites are re-excavated on a rotational basis. Search crews are typically allowed 1 month to be on location, excavate, and sift through the memories of any locals in an attempt to gain any new information before moving onto the next site.  The crash involving posthumously promoted Col. McGouldrick was no different. The family occasionally received a phone call notifying them that the crews were going in and then another if new details were found. Small discoveries and developments were made but Col. McGouldrick’s fate continued to remain a mystery.

An availability at the time, Mrs. McGouldrick soon bought a headstone in Arlington National Cemetery right near her husband’s. Even though she didn’t know what had become of him, she was confident she may one day find out, and could rest in peace by his side forever. Tragically, before a conclusion could be made, she passed in 1980.

Excavation of Col. McGouldrick’s accident site continues today still following the rotational schedule. And, although his physical death is highly likely, his essence continues to be carried on by those who make a strong effort not to forget. In 1970, the popular P.O.W./M.I.A. bracelets were introduced - a thin silver or black bracelet with the name of a service member held prisoner of war or missing in action inscribed on it. As the daughters of Col. McGouldrick explained, “you did not take it off until your man came home.” And, accountable to that agreement, they still had their bracelets on at an interview in July 2013. Hopefully one day, closure is finally brought to this tragic 44-year mystery. The daughters will finally be able to take the bracelet off while watching their daddy step off the plane or Mrs. McGouldrick can finally rest with her husband back at her side.

Col. McGouldrick and his family’s sacrifice is incredible, honorable, and humbling. And although it is very important to recognize it, we must also remember that there are thousands of families continuing to grieve today. The least we can do is keep alive the memory, influence, and essence of the fallen and missing.


- Duck Yim, 2013



On September 3rd, 2013 the McGouldrick family was notified that Col. Francis J. McGouldrick's body was positively identified. An extensive dig in the previous year had produced DNA-testable material. The Columbus Dispatch article can be found here.


Email Conservation with Mr. Tom Applegate | 15 Sept 2013

"Colonel McGouldrick was my instructor for a number of my air science 
classes.  I enjoyed his classes because of his demeanor, humor, 
knowledge and personality.  He would take time to talk with students 
on a personal basis and offer advice when asked.  He had a straight 
forward approach to issues, which I very much appreciated.  His advice 
and counsel certainly had an impact on my life.

During the Vietnam war draft boards had quotas to fill.  My Board 
couldn't fill their quota so they revoked student and teaching 
deferments so that a larger pool was available from which to "draft" 
individuals for service.  My deferment was eliminated.  Individuals in 
these cases had the right to appear before the Board to appeal their
             reclassification.  I chose to do so.
My appeal was scheduled at a time that would prevent me from being 
able to go to my home and put on my uniform so that I could attend 
ROTC drill following the appeal hearing.

I met with Colonel McGouldrick and asked for permission to be absent 
from drill and explained the reason why.  He asked me, "young man are 
you trying to evade the draft?"  I replied that I was not, that I just 
wanted to finish my college degree.  He told me if that was so, I 
should wear my uniform to my appeal and explain why I was wearing it.  
So, I did wear it to the appeal, returned in time for drill and was 
given a favorable ruling on my appeal.

His simple act of advice was representative of the way he interacted 
with students; using common sense, being straight forward and 
understanding others situations.

I must admit that I would occasionally "cut" classes in college 
because of lack of interest in a topic or professor.  I NEVER missed 
one of the Colonel's classes nor was I ever absent from a drill.

Time dims all memories but my memory of Major/Colonel McGouldrick 
never recedes.  It has served as a reminder to me many times in my 
personal and professional life that you never know when or how you 
might impact another person's life and the future."